Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Piet Mondrian 1960s Dresses

Piet Mondrian and His Influence on 1960’s Fashion

Piet Mondrian (1870-1944), considered to be the founder of Modern Art was born and raised in the Netherlands. He is most famous for his Color Block series of paintings.  He was also an important contributor to the De Stijl art movement.
I have always loved the Mondrian Dresses of the 1960’s.  I imagine that Yves St. Laurent’s homage to Mondrian’s works would have pleased him immensely.  The design was so popular after St. Laurent introduced it in 1965 that the imitations sprouted out in many forms from dresses to boots. Some of the imitations were from other pattern companies. In 1966 it seemed that every pattern manufacturer had a version of their own.
I Rifled through my pattern leaflet collection and found the following examples from Vogue, McCall’s Simplicity, and Butterick.
            To this day, the Mondrian Dress retains its prestigious spot in fashion history. The sewing patterns continue to be popular when available.
               
                                    Vogue’s Yves Saint Laurent Mondrian Dresses 1965
                                              
                                    
                                                          Vogue 1556 and 1557


                                        McCall’s 1966 Mondrian Styles
McCall's 8139                                                              McCall's 8131
   McCall’s 8131 is one of my favorites. I have never come across one.
  

                                                                            
Butterick Mondrian Style Dresses and Blouses

Butterick 4170, 4171
Butterick 3798, 3886, 3907 
                                                                              

 Simplicity’s Contributions
Simplicity 6384 Matching Daughter Dress 6432 

    Even the littlest girl wasn’t left out!
 Simplicity 6376
                                                                     

    
       

                             

                                      
      

13 comments:

  1. These dresses are fabulous, and if I had to pick I'd go with M8131 too! Thanks for the info, something else to tuck away in the pattern listing file!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer M-8139 because I've always been a little off center.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little girl's dress is pretty cute too!
    Me - I'd probably go for the M-8139 or the Butterick skirt/jacket
    Interesting article!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress shipped quickly and even arrived over a week early. I am amazed and speechless! I never thought a dress ordered online for such little money could be this good.
    Kate Spade pumps

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the McCall's 8131 too. The Vogue Yves St. Laurent is the definitive Classic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever seen the Yves St. Laurent pattern. Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love colorblock dresses, one of these days I'm going to make one...one of these days. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. M 8131 is to die for! It must be worth a fortune...
    Great blog post!

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're fab...I've never had any of these patterns cross my path, darn it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm envious of your Vogue leaflet! It's great to see all these vintage scans.
    I have a post on Vogue's YSL Mondrian collection patterns, http://blog.pattern-vault.com/2012/01/09/mondrian/ I've also made one of the dresses, but in black with black sequins..

    ReplyDelete